Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Fulbright Update:
Conference connects Moldovan, Romanian academics
It’s always interesting getting together with colleagues to hear about their research. It’s interesting, and challenging, to do this when the academic presentation are all in Romanian.

Such was the case at the recent conference at the State University of Moldova titled, “Integration through research and innovation.” (The title is snappier in Romanian). Participants were from Iasi and Bucharest, Romania; the State University of Moldova; and the US (me).

In the journalism/communications section, 13 presenters gave interesting information on a wide range of topics, including advertising agencies in Moldova, reality TV, women’s roles in mass media in Romania, and communication’s relationship to regional politics.

I was especially riveted by a discussion by Madalina Mororu from the University of Bucharest (Romania) about social media influencers, a phenomenon that’s always puzzled me. She discussed the roles of female social media influencers as marketing/brand boosters, as well as their utilization of a ‘slice of life’ storytelling format.

I also liked the interesting framework/coding sheet used by researchers looking at social media. This framework included examining the type of conflict covered in the message, whether the information in the message was verified before dissemination, and whether it was rational or emotional. I especially appreciate that last one, which I consider to be the top litmus test for fake news: did it make you angry?

My presentation was short, introducing peace journalism, then discussing how it’s principles might apply to coverage of the Israel-Gaza and Ukraine-Russia wars. Even though I was the last presenter after a long day, my peers had many good questions for me, including whether audiences used to sensationalism will embrace peace journalism. The answer: yes, they will. Indeed, according to research by Prof. Jake Lynch, audiences actually prefer peace journalism approaches.

Two of my colleagues were so interested in peace journalism that they asked me to appear this fall via zoom in their classes, and next spring in person to speak and interact with their students. Bucharest, here I come.

The event was topped off with a relaxed, interesting lunch with my colleagues.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment