Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Video: Peacebuilding Journalism and Gaza
In a short video produced by Peace News, Founding Director of the Media Association for Peace (Lebanon) Vanessa Bassil and I discuss coverage of the war in Gaza, and how peace journalism might be used to enhance that coverage. Vanessa's comments are fascinating, and insightful.

Alexander Ghetan, with Orizont 5th graders
Fifth graders analyze video for stereotypes about Americans
It was great to get back into the classroom again with my fifth graders at Orizont Lyceum in Chisinau.

As part of my Fulbright Scholar volunteer activities, I’ve been visiting with these 25 energetic, funny, smart kids since last September, talking about everything from hate speech to media literacy to life in the U.S. to my age. The student who guessed that I am 75 years old has been justifiably expelled, by the way. 

Our lesson last week expanded on the discussion of hate speech, and included a special guest, Alexandru Ghetan, program manager for the Centrul Media pentru Tineri (CMT), a youth media education organization here in Moldova.

We began by defining stereotypes, and giving examples from the U.S. and from Moldova. This latter included negative stereotypes about Russians and Russian language speakers (pro war, pro Putin, aggressive); Roma (thieves); and Moldovans who live in the village (poor, work 24 hours a day).

My guest Alexandru then engaged the kids in a discussion about stereotypes of Americans held by Moldovans. Then, we engaged in a bit of child abuse: we made the kids watch my “acting” performance in a serialized YouTube program produced by CMT called “Singura Acasa.” In the episode we watched, I play an American professor in Moldova who is subjected to stereotyping by a Moldovan man and his friends. 

Kids watching my bad acting in "Singura Acasa"

The students reacted with squeals when they saw their American visitor on the screen, and seemed to genuinely enjoy the program, and to absorb its anti-stereotyping message. We talked about the scene, for example, when I turn down a hamburger and instead ask for zeama, traditional (and delicious) Moldovan chicken soup, rebuffing the stereotype that all Americans eat are burgers. The students also pointed out a stereotype that my character perpetuated—that everyone from Transnistria must be a communist. I hadn’t even thought of that when I uttered the line “esti comunisti?” upon meeting a Transnistrian.

The session ended with Alexandru telling the students a bit about CMT and its activities for youth. I know the kids are interested in participating.

As always, it was an entertaining, fruitful discussion, made even better by Alexandru, who naturally and effortlessly connects with kids of all ages.

I’m grateful to teacher Lucia Jardan for arranging the visit. I can’t wait to return.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment