Wednesday, June 22, 2022

You can virtually meet a Nobel Peace Prize winner
(and hear a few of my presentations)

It’s not often (ever?) that one gets a chance to meet a Nobel Peace Prize winner. Yet, that’s what awaits me at the East West Center International Media conference next week in Honolulu, Hawaii.*

Maria Ressa won the Nobel Prize for her work with Rappler, a Filipino news outlet that has consistently and bravely challenged the Duterte regime in the Philippines. I’ve heard her speak several times, and know her keynote will be interesting and inspiring.

Soon thereafter, I will be leading a panel consisting of Indian and Pakistani journalists who have participated in an East West Center cross-border reporting project. I’ve been one of the instructors in this project, and have been consistently impressed with the work done under challenging circumstances by these journalists. (You can learn more about this project at journalistsforchange.org).

I’ll also be holding a break out presentation on the basics of Peace Journalism.

My two sessions, Ms. Ressa’s keynote, and a number of other conference sessions will be streamed live. For details on how to register, and for a full conference schedule, see https://www.eastwestcenter.org/professional-development/seminars-journalism-programs/ewc-international-media-conference .

Hope to see you online beginning next Tuesday.

*No eye rolling or snickering, please. OK, I admit, it’s paradise. But real work, real teaching, and real learning will be going on there. After the conference is over, I may just wander down to a beach and/or imbibe in an umbrella drink or three. But it’s strictly business during the conference!

No comments:

Post a Comment