Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Fulbright Update:
In charming Cahul, a day well spent with English students
The audiences for my presentations and lectures are usually media, communications, and journalism students. So it was an interesting challenge to address a different crowd in Cahul, Moldova, in the southern part of the country.

State University, Cahul

The participants, a mix of English learners at the Bogdan Petriceicu Hasdeu State University, seemed to be responsive to my presentation about media and peace journalism, and, implicitly, their role as media consumers.

We discussed the use of images from conflict zones, and when and if it’s appropriate to show bloody, horrifying images. The students were squeamish about this, opting for a virtual ban on these images. I never say never, and believe sometimes horrifying images need to be shown (e.g. Alan Kurdi, the little Syrian boy who’s body washed ashore in Turkey 8 years ago). 

Students analyze content for peace journalism
We also discussed local coverage of the Ukraine war. The students opined that this coverage depends on “who you’re listening to.” Romanian language and European coverage is very pro-Ukraine, while Russian language coverage is propaganda filled, and of course pro-Russia. Drastically imbalanced coverage, I suggested, does audiences a disservice.

There was also an excellent question asking if I knew the number of practicing peace journalists in the U.S. or worldwide. Alas, I responded, no such data exists, to my knowledge. In individual organizations like the Cameroon Community Media Network or the Media Association for Peace in Lebanon, yes, they have membership numbers. But we in the peace journalism field need a big fat grant (anyone have a loose $100,000 laying around?) to adequately finance a study that would answer this important question.

I have been invited back to give another presentation in the spring. I will happily accept this invitation because I enjoyed visiting with the students and because I loved Cahul, which appropriately rhymes with cool. It’s a charming little town, with a comfy park, tree lined streets, and a small town European vibe. I’m already looking forward to my return visit.

Central Park and cathedral, Cahul


 

No comments:

Post a Comment