Thursday, September 7, 2023

Fulbright Update:
Bold young English teachers impress slightly older professor

(CHISINAU, MOLDOVA)—When I was fresh out of college, I considered it bold to move from Kansas City to Rolla, Missouri (219 miles).

Turns out, my idea of post-graduate boldness pales in comparison to the move embraced by the eight intrepid young English teachers I met yesterday at a Fulbright orientation in Chisinau, Moldova.

English teachers, and other Fulbrighters, at 
orientation yesterday in Moldova
Each of these eight youngsters will be teaching English as teaching assistants or fellows here in Moldova this academic year.  Their bold move brings them thousands of miles from the U.S. to Eastern Europe. For example, one young English teacher has traveled 5,112 miles here from Columbus, Ohio. Also, at least one of the teachers had never left the U.S. until now.

Not only have they made the move here, but they won’t even be stationed in the cosmopolitan, European capital, Chisinau. Instead, they’ll be teaching in the hinterlands, in places as small and rural as Ungheni, Soroca, and Cahul.

The undaunted eight leaves Chisinau today to travel to their final destinations. I spoke to many of the English Teaching Assistants (ETA's, in Fulbright parlance), and none said they were nervous, or even a little frightened. I’d characterize them as eagerly anxious. I was tremendously impressed by the young teachers and by their fearlessness and their altruistic commitment to serving their students here and to building bridges between Moldovans and Americans. I can think of no better citizen ambassadors than these bright, dedicated 20-somethings. I plan to visit many at their posting sites, and while I’m there, perhaps to present a lecture or two on peace journalism.

Settling In
I’ve settled in to my nice apartment, which is centrally located. I’ve walked more in the six days I’ve been here than I would in a month (or two) at home.

Professionally, I’ve had the Fulbright orientation, which was informative (say no to sushi!), and have had meetings all week with potential partners and collaborators. My teaching at the university starts next week.

And, I’ve enjoyed some lovely late summer weather in Chisinau’s many bucolic parks.

Stay tuned for another update next week.

Central Park (Stefan Cel Mare Park), Chisinau, Moldova



No comments:

Post a Comment