Thursday, September 28, 2023

Fulbright Update:
Prof, students survive visit to fifth grade classroom in Moldova
About a dozen years ago, I was asked to make a presentation about peace to an unusually challenging group—4 and 5 year old preschoolers. Hearing about this invitation, my wife Barbara, anticipating an entertaining scene, accompanied me. After meeting the youngsters, I dove right in, asking a few questions and giving definitions. After about five minutes, the kids’ eyes began to glaze over, and they became extra-squirmy. Noticing this same thing, Barbara leapt into action, shooed me off the stage, and took over the presentation, much to the delight of the suddenly reanimated children.

At the end of the peace talk, the gleeful kids swarmed Barbara, showering her with hugs and high-fives. Amidst this joyful scene, I slowly shuffled to our car, shoulders hunched in abject defeat. I may have even heard soft violin music during this lonely trudge. Pass the Kleenex.

Thus, it was with some trepidation that I accepted an invitation to speak today to a class of 5th graders at the Orizont Lyceum (elementary school) in Chisinau, Moldova. I was asked to discuss social media and critical thinking, and the students’ role in not spreading disinformation.

The students were terrific—very, very energetic; very, very willing to share (one girl almost insisted); and very, very inquisitive. When I asked if they had seen disinformation and fake news on social media, everyone’s hand shot up. They gave examples that they’ve seen on social media, everything from fake cash prizes to lies about the Ukraine war to the zombie apocalypse, which according to the students did not occur (or at least, has not yet occurred). I asked how they knew if news is false, and got some sophisticated answers, including considering what source it comes from, and whether the news could be verified with a Google search. We discussed Russian disinformation themes commonly spread in Moldova. The students said they had seen posts reflecting each of these themes, which include confusing information about the breakaway republic Transnistria; the general theme Russia is good and EU bad; the war will spread to Moldova; and Moldova shouldn’t join the EU.

I left the youngsters with some questions they should ask themselves before sharing news on social media, including:

-How did it make me feel? (If the answer is mad, it's probably disinformation)
-What’s the source? Do you recognize it as a real news outlet?
-Does it seem realistic? Does it make sense?
-Are other sources reporting this, or is it just one source?
-Does it hit on the fake news themes targeting Moldova?
-Who would say this, and why? (What are the disseminator’s motives?).

The students spoke excellent English, especially considering their age, so 80% of the presentation was in English, though I did answer a few inquiries in Romanian.

The only fly in the ointment today wasn’t a fly, but a small stink bug that distracted the students, and thus myself, to no end. After giggles, pointing, swatting, etc., teacher Lucia Jardan-Gutu finally swooped in and scooped up the insect, saving the kids from what was undoubtedly an unspeakable fate.

As I left class today, I was sent off with several rounds of loud applause. I signed an autograph, got a couple of hugs, and was encouraged to return for another lesson. I left school with my head held high, strutting like a peacock. I think I may have heard some trumpet music playing in the background. No Kleenex needed this time.

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment